RAAus election process

kasper

Advertising - My memory is a bit fuzzy - RAA used to do the magazine in-house, which gave them some grief. Then it was farmed out, the editorial staff were not up to aviation (and the RAA/AUF failed to give it a thorough pre-publication read) and some questionable articles were published. Then the contract was given to Brian Bigg's company who also produced the AOPA magazine. As part of that deal he got the advertising revenue. RAA paid for production & distribution. On that basis I don't think RAA gained anything from Members' Market advertising for some years. It used to be free - remember? Those of us who have been around for a few years?

Proxies - There were probably YES and NO proxies - how else can I vote, as I could not justify the travel costs down there. What would worry me more is an individual turning up with a large wad of proxies as happened with the Bunny Farmer some time back. Individuals sending theirs through for the Chairman or whoever, through the office, I have no concern about. That is democracy at work. An office bearer using RAA resources (and privileged access to the membership list) to send out a personal request for members to vote his way - as happened a few years back - NOT ON.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

• Replies 201
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

An office bearer using RAA resources (and privileged access to the membership list) to send out a personal request for members to vote his way - as happened a few years back - NOT ON

OR travelling around the country using RAAus funds and then to promote the yes vote at these meetings to get proxies for yes is fringing on fraud and embezzlement in my opinion and a lot of members who were conned at these meetings have said to me they are willing to sign an avidavit to that

• Agree 2

OR travelling around the country using RAAus funds and then to promote the yes vote at these meetings to get proxies for yes is fringing on fraud and embezzlement in my opinion and a lot of members who were conned at these meetings have said to me they are willing to sign an avidavit to that

Well I went to one of those meetings and I can say that there was definitely a provision made for "no" votes, actually to roughly quote the head sharang "please vote, it doesn't matter if you vote yes or no but please vote!"

imo I was greatful that they did travel around as I would not have had the priviledge to have a face to face chat otherwise and while the constitution change took up a fair slab of time I had a few other questions answered that I would not have bothered with otherwise.

It is also my opinion that it is better to work together to move forward than whine about the past, (this comment is not aimed at you Ian but more at our membership as a whole) if you aren't happy with the new constitution then work on some amendments and bring them forward. Don has copped a lot of slack for leaving once the yes vote won but have a look at the amount of work he has put into it over the last few years and have a think how draining that amount of work is before criticising from the sidelines.

• Like 3
  • Agree 2

SDQDI.

I here what you are saying however just look at how the figures and counting came out of those meetings. One has to be very suspicious regarding the outcome, stand back and look at the situation and how it arrived..

Put the Rod and President posts into the equation both were claiming lies so what was that all about?

How come the board is so divided on the issue? The other good one, look at the little group banding together to get on the board. I have to research the cartel before I can make an honest opinion.

Regards,

KP

• Agree 1

Has anyone got their ballot paper yet?

Little bit awkward only having 2 weeks to vote in practicality, I'll admit.

Probably should extend the deadline till mid September sometime.

• Like 1

Lied because they didn't tell you an option to vote No would have meant we stayed the same as before... Let's give members some credit on being able to make their own decisions. The CEO pushed the yes vote because he believes it's our best way forward, that's what he is pad for. Not to give every option under the sun but the best! Now can we move on from the past and elect a new board?

• Like 1
  • Agree 4

A little unpleasant Andy. This sort of thing makes me wonder if we will ever do much but insult people when it makes us feel good. Rod has a right to defend himself, and put in a position where he had to. Nev

Who should I vote for? Here's the things important to me:

1. Coming to this site and having a say. Don Ramsay has been great and now Rod Birrell is taking part.

To be honest, I thought Don was conscientious to the point of burning himself out, but he put my mind at rest on several issues.

I can see the attraction of avoiding a forum where you can be insulted but I still want to vote for people who can put up with that and still put their views.

2. I want to vote for people who believe in owner-maintenance and who will support club-based schools to further this. I am worried that this is on the way out . About a year ago, I offered to organize another maintenance school at my club, having done a previous and successful one with Steve Bell. There was no reply from RAAus to this overture.

3. I am heartily sick of how the "safety" word is overused by people (CASA and Airservices) when they are actually hostile to my real safety. I refer to how I am excluded from presently UNUSED airspace and therefore forced lower than necessary over poor-outlanding terrain.

Here we are, with what Rod says are more aircraft than the military and airlines combined, given the dangerous leftover dregs of airspace by people who bray the word "safety" at us. I would like us to fight that, just as Eugene did years ago about flying to Tasmania under 5000ft.

So I am planning to vote for Rod Birrell and I would have voted for Don Ramsay,but he is not standing.

Probably Eugene, but who else ?

• Like 1

I want to vote for people who believe in owner-maintenance and who will support club-based schools to further this. I am worried that this is on the way out

I believe you correct in your worry. Progressively little bits at a time all in the opinion of a couple of people's opinions of SAFETY and what is even more concerning "at the instigation of RAA itself".

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

Can I assume from this link that all financial members will actually receive a paper copy of the August magazine (as stated on the website) and it will contain the voting papers? Nothing received here as yet?...

Yep, got the magazine today.

• Like 1

I, like most RAAus members do not know many, if any, of the candidates for the RAAus Board election.

The candidates' statements and CVs give a glimpse of their qualifications and experience but, in most cases, provide no idea of their position regarding many of the matters of concern to members.

I, for one, would like to find out the candidates' position on these matters.

To this end I would like to get your thoughts on questions to put to the candidates, compile a list of these questions and then put the list of the same questions to each candidate so that, assuming they respond, we can compare apples with apples.

Your thoughts and questions please. 028_whisper.gif.c42ab2fd36dd10ba7a7ea829182acdc1.giftyping.gif.6480b8333d5a827991c46cf7c4016332.gif

You can reply here or PM me so I can compile the questions to present.

DWF 080_plane.gif.36548049f8f1bc4c332462aa4f981ffb.gif

• Like 4

DWF, great idea..

1. Support or not for Weight increase.

2. Support for "Members Market" returning to RAAus control.

3. Position on Sport Pilot distribution.

Just a few to start with.

Mike

Fiscal policy:-

1. how do you propose to reverse the current trading losses

2. while keeping it affordable for members (policy on fee increases)

3. strategies for current reserves (usage, investment etc)

Governance:-

1. Open, transparent - how will this be achieved

2. Should "legal advice" on RAA's behalf be available to members (when requested)

Communication & Engagement:-

1. Do you support a formal "forum" to consult with a cross section of the membership

2. How do you propose to keep the membership informed and engaged (email, Sport Pilot, decisions, news)

• Like 3
  • Agree 1
  • Winner 1

Hi FV,

Regarding point 2 under 'Governance', I believe that as a general rule legal advice should not be distributed to members. It should remain "privileged and confidential", otherwise RAA risks waiving legal privilege. Depending on the legal advice (such as non-contentious issue like changing the constitution), it might not really matter, but would rather the organisation take a conservative approach.

I agree DWF. Here's my additions for questions:

1. preparedness to contribute to this site ( or something similar) to answer questions or clear up misconceptions.

2. Support for owner-maintenance, including training weekend schools and the handing-out of qualifications properly earned.

3. Support for a fair go for access to airspace so that RAAus aircraft can operate more safely, instead of flying in the leftover dangerous dregs from the military and airlines.

4. Continued support for Australian manufacturers.

• Agree 1

I, like most RAAus members do not know many, if any, of the candidates for the RAAus Board election.

The candidates' statements and CVs give a glimpse of their qualifications and experience but, in most cases, provide no idea of their position regarding many of the matters of concern to members.

I, for one, would like to find out the candidates' position on these matters.

To this end I would like to get your thoughts on questions to put to the candidates, compile a list of these questions and then put the list of the same questions to each candidate so that, assuming they respond, we can compare apples with apples.

Your thoughts and questions please. 028_whisper.gif.c42ab2fd36dd10ba7a7ea829182acdc1.giftyping.gif.6480b8333d5a827991c46cf7c4016332.gif

You can reply here or PM me so I can compile the questions to present.

DWF 080_plane.gif.36548049f8f1bc4c332462aa4f981ffb.gif

DWF this is the most constructive post on RA Aus governance issues for quite sometime (in my opinion). - Thanks

Governance

- what is your position on your election being actually unsupported by the constitution due to malpractice by the initial directors of the RAAus Ltd?

- what is your position as a director were a member to point out that the unconstitutional nature of the entire election process? Please compare and contrast your position with M Monke whose position is you can sue me I'm doing this.

- will you please advise members if the consitution actually means anything to you and if you will take seriously the failure of RAAus to follow it?

for my opinion is don't vote for any one that has been on the board as that is the only way we can get a fresh start the corruption and cover ups started years ago

it was allowed to continue because you as members allowed it continue through your ignorance off good governance and accountability neil

• Agree 1

I believe you correct in your worry. Progressively little bits at a time all in the opinion of a couple of people's opinions of SAFETY and what is even more concerning "at the instigation of RAA itself".

Suppose the Tech Manager is pushing for this ?

Just found this little gem in the "rules" for voting......... ( my underline)

Can I also include any other material in the ballot paper envelope?

No. Ballot paper envelopes will not be opened until 1 September 2016.

If you include any additional material, you run the risk of your membership lapsing or your aircraft losing current registration. Additionally, your vote won't count.

If you include identifying information with your vote it is invalid. I have not received our voting forms yet - so going on past experience. The outer envelope has your membership number. That is used to cross your name off the list, and certify that it is from a valid, financial member (eligible to vote). The votes are kept unopened until the close of voting. Invalid votes are destroyed, so they can't be mixed up with valid ones. So if you include your payment, letter etc, it may end up answered.

I was a polling official at the last election. The rules there were, if you put non identifying marks on a ballot paper it was still valid, however the line between "Hey Bill, I voted for you! - AB" or "- Andy Ballott" was sufficient to declare it invalid. Initials in an electorate of 100k considered non identifying. That election was conducted under the relevant Acts which may not apply to the RAA election (I have not looked).

• Like 1

Storchy, from my distant sideline it always appeared as if CASA were the bad guys and that the old board were only guilty of not realizing just how bad CASA had become.

I don't want or need anybody to be my nanny. It appears to me that the only shortcoming of the old board was that they didn't nanny people enough to keep CASA happy.

The only difference I noticed with the new guard was that my plane was grounded while awaiting a photo of the other side of the fuselage.

What we need is a bit of stability and knowing where we are going. We have had little of that for years now, and it can't continue like that. People just give up and leave.( If they had any sense) Trouble is they are addicted to planes. People making the rules MUST understand THIS section of aviation. CASA didn't choose to bother, and I wonder if this management isn't too "back & white". (bullish)..Nev

• Agree 2