privacy complaint approved by OAIC

circuitsun

If you Don't like this regime. (RAA)

Leave.

I did,

Miss my flying,  but leaves lots of money for other dreams.

spacesailor

Oh,  thank you very much spacesailor,    that's a novel idea ! .......  it is on the horizon.

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Oh,  thank you very much spacesailor,    that's a novel idea ! .......  it is on the horizon.

Unfortunately, I am thinking the same too. 

I loved building my RV, I enjoy flying it, particularly with my kids down Victor 1 whale watching, but there comes a time when dealing with CAsA, RAAus and airport owners (with the notable exception of Pete at Somersby) begin to significantly outweigh any enjoyment I get from it. 

Anyone want to buy an RV-9A? QB wings & Fuse, ~120 TTAE, Skyview EFIS, AP & ADS-B equipped? $105K. ?

Unfortunately, I am thinking the same too. 

I loved building my RV, I enjoy flying it, particularly with my kids down Victor 1 whale watching, but there comes a time when dealing with CAsA, RAAus and airport owners (with the notable exception of Pete at Somersby) begin to significantly outweigh any enjoyment I get from it. 

Anyone want to buy an RV-9A? QB wings & Fuse, ~120 TTAE, Skyview EFIS, AP & ADS-B equipped? $105K. ?

That is very sad to hear KR,  a real shame. 

I am looking for something else to do instead, [ gotta have something !] but so far, still  looking looking looking....

Whatever happened to paying what you owe to the airport operator like the rest of us?

IT isn't about not paying landing fees. It is about how we do it. RAAus has obtained our details for Reason A & B (management of our RPC's and registrations, essentially) - but then, in an attempt to curry favour with airports and CAsA - have entered into a commercial arrangement with the Australian Airports Association to disclose our details - without any evidence whatsoever that we actually operated there mind you - to members of that association - who themselves will not say who they are, as their details "are private". Kosher? Hardly. At least AvData (pondscum they may be), publish a list of airports that utilise their services so we can avoid them if desired.

FWIW, I already pay $3,600 a year in hangarage and usage fees to a private airfield operator. I am also a Central Coast Council ratepayer, however, because I am not based at Warnervale, am classed as Itinerant, so my landing fees for 1 hour of circuits there come to $150. Plus another $110 just for the privilege of refuelling (Not even counting the fuel - that's extra again). So $260 just to fly a few laps and refuel in a Sub-600Kg machine. And they aren't the most expensive places I've found either...It is cheaper for me to fly from Sydney to Morrabbin or Archerfield, fly an hour of circuits there, land, refuel and fly home than it is to fly 10nm to Warnervale and do an hour there...

You tell me why it's fair to charge someone to "refuel on Council land" and how I - as an aircraft owner - can "owe" Council for doing so but if I refuel my tinny on its' trailer on the footpath I can do so for nix...Yep, definitely time to get out of flying. ?

My neibour a few streets away has given up flying & he was a commercial pilot.

So it says to me " the rot has started ".

He has bought a 50 something foot power boat, his wife is over the moon now.

I wonder if his dad & he sold their twin engine Cessna, that was a commercial business. 

spacesailor

There is a big difference between locations. At Kyneton, like many other country airfields, we see none of these unreasonable problems and expenses. Of course I avoid the expensive places on trips. Hangarage is a bit cheaper but not a lot.

In my opinion, I think that under the Part 149 arrangements CASA will require that the register becomes a public document. End of story.

Chapter 7 of the Manual of Standards for Part 149 which has already been published and adopted by Parliament requires the Raaus and all other self administered aviation organisations aircraft register to be published.

Chapter 7 of the Manual of Standards for Part 149 which has already been published and adopted by Parliament requires the Raaus and all other self administered aviation organisations aircraft register to be published.

Then RAAus when doing this had best consider how to register aircraft to companies as is available for the VH register to allow people the possibility to not have their private home addresses published against the fact they have what undesirable individuals in society see as a clear sign of wealth.  

pretty much time for RAAus to break the service provision to membership in relation to aircraft registrations.

keep the membership link to the pilots certificate if necessary but to be frank I’d rather see the lot turned into fee for service and no membership requirement meaning membership is optional and all those who don’t give a flying fig for governance and voting can just buy the services and those interested in managing the company pay towards that.

How's the yachting scene at Kyneton Peter?

Yachting is non existent as the sewage dams are too small. Power boating, which was Spacesailor's friends new hobby, is practical at the model scale and I just gave an electric powerboat model to my granddaughter. Perhaps i should take up aviation modelling which I am told is just as much fun as the real thing.

The usual reason given by other government departments (motor vehicle registration and licensing etc) for requiring a physical address, rather than a post box address is so that legal process can be served, if necessary. RAAus should allow members to provide a physical address (for delivering correspondence dealing with breaches of rules), and a post box address for licence and registration renewals and other associated correspondence.

Not having had the need to read the constitution, I assume that there is something in there covering how members are to be contacted in relation to allegations of offences.

He has bought a 50 something foot power boat, his wife is over the moon now.

"...The two most exciting days of boat ownership are the day you buy it and the day you sell it..."

As a former boat owner I heartily agree with that saying.....

Keep flying. The regs are becoming a bit more of a nuisance but not enough to give it away. 

Some dost complain too much.....

IF you don't complain, or act, you are down the drain. You just encourage more of the same. If it's gradual  it's like the frog in warming water. You are slowly cooked. I could NOT advise anyone honestly that flying is now worth the trouble, expense and uncertainty.  The last thing I would wish to inflict on myself is to run a flying school, or make an aeroplane or an engine or own an aeroplane. (I've owned 3). Flying isn't stressful but the peripheral BS is. I know virtually NO long term pilots who think very differently. UNFORTUNATELY.   That's a Pity .. About 15 years ago it was looking as if the future would be easier and better. Not so.  and you can't hang around hoping forever. Nev

• Like 1

Anyone who thinks aircraft are expensive, and boats are a cheaper answer, obviously hasn't owned a boat before. Not for nothing is BOAT reputed to stand for, "Bring Out Another Thousand dollars".

Or as yachting friend described it, "Just like standing in a cold shower, constantly tearing up $100 notes".

• Agree 1

Boating if under 50 foot, does not entail having to sit a coxwain ticket.

You can take a boat to another country without all the B S, that taking an aircraft to another airfield entails.

I,ve done it, but couldn't get my home built Hummel properly registered. .was registered but not flying.

spacesailor