OK - who is ready to do this in Australia?

SGM

Some years ago an instructor suggested that it would be a good thing if students could fly the length of the runway on the centre line at about 1-2 metres height. Something I enjoy doing. There was quite a strong backlash against his proposal.  

A longer version 

Edited by Thruster88

thats something I did when learning to hold-off.
went into the flare and was told to add just enough power to keep the wheels from touching, have done it a few times to get my eye in and used to the feeling.
so im not as nervous of the ground.

but doing it at cruise speed is something else

• Like 1

Do it in Melbourne at present and here's some of the fines:

Speeding above 80kph tunnel limit $567,000

Unroadworthy vehicle (even though you are not using the road) $235,000

More than 5km from home during lockdown. $8,776,325.80

Not wearing a mask $387,998

Not remaining in the left lane $115,900

Headlights not on $600,500

Smoke emitting from vehicle $700,453

Blocking traffic at the tunnel exit $222,987

Number plates not displayed $4876

No tail lights $57,544

Unregistered vehicle $23,887

Congregating with other humans $56,876,543

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

There was a corkscrew tunnel entrance onto a bridge in Brisbane back in.......um........the 70s.

I think it was 270deg, or a 3/4 turn, and I don't know if it got tighter as you went round, but I do know that there were multiple tyre marks well up the outside wall by the time you got towards the other end....

• Like 1
  • Informative 1

9 minutes ago, Student Pilot said:

The world record thing has progressed to stupid levels, yes it's first but so what? Doesn't prove anything. How many of you are "world record" holders? Longest taxi without lifting off? Most donuts/groundloops in a single go? 

Perfect - I'll claim mine for most number of Pou Du Ciel type aircraft flow by someone with the middle name Andrew ... COVID is real, I'll accept my certificate by post :thumb up:

• Like 2

While not taking anything away from his achievement, I noticed that the takeoff was done in one tunnel then he flew in a straight line out into the open air and back into another tunnel.  All the time he maintained the same height.

It'd be a hell of a lot harder to dive from height then enter a tunnel.  The movie versions usually have helicopters doing it - Mission Impossible, Terminator 2 are two that come to mind.

(Interestingly, the width of each railway tunnel in the Chunnel is less than the rotor diameter of the MD520N, so not quite sure how that helicopter chasing Tom Cruise got into the tunnel...)

Edited by Marty_d
  • Like 1
  • Agree 1

It's a piece of cake to do that, no wind gusts inside a tunnel, and a straight white line to follow!

Now, if they wanted to make it exciting, cover up the white line, and pump a few gusts of air into the tunnel at various points along its length!

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, kgwilson said:

That was a bit of a yawn. No crash at the end.

Indeed. We have long since reached peak amaze. Which would be amazing if there was any amazement left in us........)

7 hours ago, Student Pilot said:

The world record thing has progressed to stupid levels, yes it's first but so what? Doesn't prove anything. How many of you are "world record" holders? Longest taxi without lifting off? Most donuts/groundloops in a single go? 

Sport Pilot,

I can actually say that I (and my mates) were world record holders for a short time.

in 2005 we were doing pyro for the Wide Bay Airshow held at Bundaberg. We were asked for something special to put the show on the international stage.

Any that were there may remember one display of flares/candles following the Super Connie….looked great. But to the world record;

Teed it up with Channel 7, Guinness Book of Records TV show, and did a Wall of Fire of 1127m, that consumed nearly 5k litres of our special fuel mix.

It consisted of over 400 individual explosions. We got an ARDU scientist ( rockets and missiles were his specialty) involved as the rolling explosions may have gone supersonic, breaking surrounding house windows. Even though each explosion is super sonic in itself, the problem compounds if one builds on the other, a rolling thunder as such.

Great display……but the record only lasted a few weeks as some yanks wanted the record and laid out 2.5ks of Det cord and Bang…a world record with very little effort.

You can see it on YouTube, but I don’t know how to provide a link. I am good at blowing things up, not anything computer related.

Happy viewing. BTW, the group spokesman on the vid died last week, so all the fun ends.

Ken

• Like 4

For those who watch the video, you will hear different figures to the ones I gave above. This was to ensure anybody trying to replicate our shoot would end up with a squib…..Trade secrets..

Ken

• Like 1

Do we have any 4-lane tunnels in Australia? I think the ones on the M2 in Sydney might only be 3 lanes if they are meant to qualify as a tunnel, proper...

Anyway, I dunno what the big deal is. Doesn't everyone remember Mission Impossible? Tom Cruise was hanging off a helicopter in the Channel Tunnel - and that was 20 years ago!

Yes, I know Le Chunnel is but one train wide, it is Hollywood, yadda yadda....

Good point, not to mention the problem is also a tunnel with clear entry and exit paths. All our tunnels seem to be in city's to bypass city traffic.

The tunnels in Melbourne are all 3 lane, as is the one exiting Adelaide.

Not a lot different to threading under powerline and staying constant height above a crop only spraying it's done all day, not just for 30 seconds or so.

It is now not possible to fly under or anywhere within something like 75 metres from a powerline with aerial application in Australia. So basically every pilot spraying in Australia has to brake the law to do the job. Easy to see why aerial spraying is virtually banned in the UK.

• Like 1

The RAAF did something similar although no where near as long .  They flew a canberra bomber through a hanger in 1970,s,,,,,,,and the old canberra is a much bigger plane lol.Low flying – HoaxEye