Tell us about your last flight

Admin

Just back from a local flight around Moreton Island, the pax I took was from my previous company & I actually gave him his 4 bars on his final command check back in 2015, I think the smile on his face says it all, priceless.

5B017A82-D211-4563-BA35-3F763E7D3C42.jpeg

8F0B912F-A44A-4391-8C01-83D9A7BAEF18.jpeg

9D5DDE31-C001-480A-A102-1720E3A13D48.jpeg

0F165699-5181-4FAB-9A4D-DF0D8B5DA7DA.jpeg

• Like 5
  • Agree 1

• 2 weeks later...

Flew up to Narromine yesterday, ex YCWR in my J230D 24-7597. Visual.

Never landed there before. flight planned it all on paper and wizz wheel, should land with 97 minutes in the tank at the end.. 

Departed YCWR with my mate Tony    on board. He was suprised (very) how well the jab got off the ground (1032 hPa, 10C) (966 feet >> 6 feet on density altitude)  1200++ fpm ha ha ha.

headed WEST  to Grenfell for a look around, then turned north for Narromine  . bit of turb, NE blowing 25 kts (45deg off the nose) @ 6500' , couldnt escape it. 

Not much of a Nav exercise since any idiot can fly up the Newell Highway at 6500' :-) . did some wizz wheel exercises en route with the wind. even though the garmin was telling me...

A couple of planes on the runways, nice landing, plenty of good tiedown points (10 kts, 080 deg) ,  bit of action in the clubhouse..

Nice clubhouse ! Walked into town....sleeping sunday arvo..Good steak sandwich with the lot. good coffee (ordered double shot- cannot RISK a weak coffee) .

off we went after a bit of a chat with the locals.  now, easterly blowing, cross wind. no probs, nothign 4 deg subtracted from my track wont fix.  again, the Newell highway underneath, how hard can this be ?

initial at 5500, climbed up to 7500, dodging clouds. (FEW). OAT6. Jab performance at 5-10% better (lower) fuel flow for same TAS  up here. hmmm. slightly more RPM .   

We come down to 5500 over parkes, , the cloud is thickening up BKN  as we get south , dont think I want to get stuck ON TOP !!!! :-) 

chat with ATC deconflicting with learners coming out of Cowra...... then hear a PAN PAN on the radio, some unfortunate Cirrus with engine trouble heads home and safely gets it onto a strip.... 

uneventful everything, enjoyable. first long ish flight as PIC in my Jab. 

Edited by RFguy
  • Like 8

4 hours ago, RFguy said:

Flew up to Narromine yesterday, ex YCWR in my J230D 24-7597. Visual.

Never landed there before. flight planned it all on paper and wizz wheel, should land with 97 minutes in the tank at the end.. 

Departed YCWR with my mate Tony    on board. He was suprised (very) how well the jab got off the ground (1032 hPa, 10C) (966 feet >> 6 feet on density altitude)  1200++ fpm ha ha ha.

headed WEST  to Grenfell for a look around, then turned north for Narromine  . bit of turb, NE blowing 25 kts (45deg off the nose) @ 6500' , couldnt escape it. 

Not much of a Nav exercise since any idiot can fly up the Newell Highway at 6500' 🙂 . did some wizz wheel exercises en route with the wind. even though the garmin was telling me...

A couple of planes on the runways, nice landing, plenty of good tiedown points (10 kts, 080 deg) ,  bit of action in the clubhouse..

Nice clubhouse ! Walked into town....sleeping sunday arvo..Good steak sandwich with the lot. good coffee (ordered double shot- cannot RISK a weak coffee) .

off we went after a bit of a chat with the locals.  now, easterly blowing, cross wind. no probs, nothign 4 deg subtracted from my track wont fix.  again, the Newell highway underneath, how hard can this be ?

initial at 5500, climbed up to 7500, dodging clouds. (FEW). OAT6. Jab performance at 5-10% better (lower) fuel flow for same TAS  up here. hmmm. slightly more RPM .   

We come down to 5500 over parkes, , the cloud is thickening up BKN  as we get south , dont think I want to get stuck ON TOP !!!! 🙂

chat with ATC deconflicting with learners coming out of Cowra...... then hear a PAN PAN on the radio, some unfortunate Cirrus with engine trouble heads home and safely gets it onto a strip.... 

uneventful everything, enjoyable. first long ish flight as PIC in my Jab. 

Did you manage to calculate winds aloft while in flight? If so, well done. 

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, Butch said:

Hands up if you still can use one ! :blink:

They are so scary when you are a newbie, when you finally get your head around what they do I lost the fear, but who needs it now with iPad and oz runways.

• Agree 2

On 09/08/2021 at 2:08 PM, Flightrite said:

What's a "whiz wheel"?😉

I presume that’s a wink. Anyone who passed a pilot exam should be able to use this clever analogue computer. The sort of the technology that we should keep around for when digits fail us.

• Like 3
  • Agree 1

My last flight was today, officially my first flight since I was asked for further tests for my medical in January. But CASA are now happy and I am airborne again! My physical health has not changed over that period, but my mental health just got a big boost.

• Like 5
  • Agree 1
  • Informative 1
  • Winner 4

• 2 weeks later...

Flew into work today. Staying proficient and keeping the rust away. The ag aircraft are all going flat out around here because the paddocks are to wet for ground spraying and fertilizing. 

Resized_20210827_115508_5501.jpeg

Resized_20210827_115932_1677.jpeg

Resized_20210827_120545_6506.jpeg

• Like 9

14 hours ago, Flightrite said:

T88 money must be tight if ya  got a hand written piece of tape stuck to yr panel with the type & rego😁

Just haven't got around to fixing it properly after panel repaint. It's only been a year or two.😁

• Like 1

This morning I did a dozen circuits to practice my short-field skills. A couple of full-flap landings were less than 130m, the shortest I’ve stopped the little Baby since I added 60kg of modifications.  The cold air and lack of turbulence were ideal conditions, so I won’t be able to do that in summer…

Learned a couple of things:

Throttle needs more friction so I don’t have to keep one hand on the lever.

Stopped to talk to a person who lives on a nearby farm and she hadn’t heard my plane go over a dozen times, despite it being a quiet Sunday morning. Jabiru engines are quiet.

My GoPro is an amazing camera, always finding new ways to bugger up my day. For the first time, nothing went wrong. (We need a whole thread on action cameras.)

This time the iPad let me down: I’d left it in the plane overnight without shutting it down. It was bat flattery, so the OzRunways wasn’t there to record my tracks and warn me of other traffic. Must remember to not set Auto Lock to Never

They tell us Lithium batteries don’t like to be run flat. I’ve now done that to a couple of mine and it’s come back to bite me. A few months ago I accidentally left the plane battery on and it was 8.9v when I next tried to start the plane.

Battery Management Systems are supposed to stop that happening, but this one didn’t.

I’ll install an Anderson plug to make connecting a booster pack a bit easier, but will also price a new battery.

• Like 5
  • Informative 1

We're locked down right now, but here's a couple of shots from a flight earlier in the month: the ranges approx 4500ft with a little snow on them to the west of Hood aerodrome in the N Island of NZ.

When the westerlies push the clouds over and down, we stay away, but that day was perfect for cruising along the snow line........

20210811_144301.jpg

20210811_144314.jpg

• Like 12
  • Agree 1

Needed to take a customer's plane for a test flight after radio repairs, it was going to be a very windy day, so got airborne as the top limb of the sun was just appearing. Wow what a way to clear your head before a day of paperwork. 

check out the beautiful yellow colours of sunrise.jpg...

sunrise.jpg

beforesunrise.jpg

Edited by RFguy
  • Like 12

• 2 weeks later...

Strawberry growers, Old K? Yes, the stories we read, they're doing it tough. But in the wanton destruction of ripe strawberry crops, I see a failure to address the current situation, and little attempt to find a way to utilise the fruit.

Many a grower has had to re-adjust their plans to find a different way to process and sell their fruit, when their normal market area collapsed. There must be some options available to use the fruit to produce a strawberry product in a different form.

A friend used to grow about 20 Ha of (irrigated) onions in the late 1970's. But onion prices were notoriously extreme in that era, and when time came to harvest them, the price he was offered was less than the price of production - so, he simply ploughed them all in, rather than pay out more to harvest them. Seemed like total stupidity to me, particularly when onions will store for an extended period under the right storage conditions.

Edited by onetrack
  • Informative 1