Pilot hospitalised after self-made plane crashes at Tumut west of Canberra

Looks like he will be OK but back injuries can last for the rest of your life. I can't understand why so many people take take videos in portrait mode on their phone. You can never get the whole scene in unless it is in the distance.

• Agree 1

So where can I get one of these 'self made' planes? I'm getting sick of 'owner building' mine!

• Like 1
  • Agree 3
  • Haha 2

So where can I get one of these 'self made' planes? I'm getting sick of 'owner building' mine!

I cringe every time I see a headline like that....Do these people realise every commercial aircraft ever built, was built with the lowest bidder manufactured parts and the lowest skilled labour they could manage with? Every 737 is put together by Billy Bob from parts made by Juan and Zhang.

• Like 2
  • Agree 1
  • Haha 2

Yes, I think it was an intrusion and downright rude to poke a camera at the guy. And turn your &*^% camera so we see the video as it should be seen, wide screen!!!! Her'es hoping he and his plane are up and flying soon as possible.

• Agree 2
  • Helpful 1

Not a good day for the poor fellah, hope and pray that his injuries are not too serious and he makes a speedy recovery.

Had a little look on line, but was wondering what motors they put in those aircraft. They obviously have a good short-field performance and very low stall speed providing the fan keeps turning.

This thing about the video being shot in portrait may not be his fault,i had some video's of my Supapup but after my laptop came back from a repairer

they are all in Portrait too,and i haven't been able to change them back.

cheers

colin

• More 1

Canberra Times:

Cootamundra LAC acting inspector Michael Madgwick said the man was testing home-made modifications to the plane, and the engine was too heavy for the aircraft. "It prevented him from getting a lot of lift. It caused the problem, and he shut it down," he said. The pilot was a member of the Tumut Aero Club and regularly visited the airport at Bombowlee, Acting Inspector Madgwick said.

It looks like anyone who communicates details of a crash is up for criticism.

The journalist correctly described the 19 registered aircraft as self built; the self made comment came from here; both are correct, but some people seem uneasy at that coming out in the open.

This is all wrong on so many levels I hardly know where to start, In fact, the bloke (wounded or not) should be thoroughly looked at by the RAA. ...............Quote "It prevented him from getting a lot of lift. It caused the problem, and he shut it down," Is a quote that shows the speaker has NO CLUE what he is talking about....015_yelrotflmao.gif.6321765c1c50ed62b69cf7a7fe730c49.gif

• Haha 1

If you watch the earlier videos, especially the first flight one, you'll see it appears there is a problem with yaw control. We don't know what engine he had in it then.